Production Project- Session 5

DJ Heylos

DJ Heylos” by BrianHenry ////|// is marked with CC BY-ND 2.0.

SUMMARY

Role

Sound Designer

Intention (SMART Goal)

By May 10th I will have recorded ADR to enhance the sound in our film by following “ADR for Beginners” tutorial so that the audio appears more clear and coherent throughout our film.

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Doug Hemphill:

Doug Hemphill began his career in film as a Mix Recordist on “Apocalypse Now (1979).” He continued working for Francis Ford Coppola through the release of “Rumble Fish (1983),” after which he moved to Southern California, where he did field recordings for “Gremlins (1984).” He’s know for winning two Academy Awards for Best Sounds and was nominated for eight more in the same category. He worked on more than 190 films since 1979.” ( Wikipedia). Some of know films he produced for song for are, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)[6],Walk the Line (2005)[7] Life of Pi (2012)[8] Blade Runner 2049 (2017)[9]

Training Source(s)

Cue:Notes:
How does various sounds throughout Mad Max explain the plot of the film?

How so you add in intentional sound without it being artifical?

Can producing foley sounds create more depth in a film?

How can you match the perfect sound with object throughout your film? What are some tips to make film match well with these objects?

What are some films that focus mainly on sound to tell the story and raise the plot of the story?

What if a person used a unmatched sound to a fit a certain object? would this create confusion or potentially make the audience question the usage of that specific sound? Any examples?
Hyper-Real: Bigger than life sounds
Mark margin won a grammy for his sound design in “Mad Max Down The Road”

” Door closes are hard to get”Thier so many intrquite sounds that are part of small sounds in a film.
A door is a ibiqutise object, but its is also a more diverse and complex way to demonstrate various struggles and emotions.

Universe ways to present sound in various things inside a house. for instance doors, plates, chairs, simple things but are hard to get

“Sound design is everything you hear”-Walter Merch

Terminator 2 ( thoughtful sounds presented throughout the film show how easily it is to forgot sound significant part in a film because it is always expected.

Much like the music in a film the audience couldn’t notice w

The use of sound in Films ( Video))
Sound effects come in various forms you have digestic sounds that come from within the frame and non- digestic sounds that you can still hear but don’t come in within the frame.

Sounds are added when key actions are carried out whichs adds a lot the film
Cue:Notes:
What are some films that use Fidelity to their advantage?

How do you produce sound effects and add them into a film with it sound artificial?

Can the Rhythm of a song helps emphasize a up-coming event in a film?

How do you correctly use rhythm in a film without it sounding?

Does Fidelity work in serious situations or does it create confusion in a film?

Sounds are added when key actions are carried out which adds a lot the film

Rhythm: helps employ a wide range technique to emphasize and exaggerate the things they are saying, the sound of a speech can vary from poetic to harsh. It helps add symmetry to various characters.

Music in film is sometimes to accompany and sometimes drive visuals for example peaks and troughs in music where it reaches its loudest and quietest parts directly correlate with what’s happening on the screen it can be used to our attention suspense and a variety of
Music can match a characters emotions it can become loud and dramatic and then softer when a character is going through something depressing.

Fidelity: A sound you expect to hear from what you see therefor a lack of fidelity means that the sound is not what you expect to hear sound that has fidelity often explains the frame of the film and adds to the audience immersion of the film.
The use of sound in Films ( Video))

Proposed Budget

Project Timeline

1. Start Pre-Production
  2. Choose Role
  3. Create a SMART goal
  4. Research a leader in the field and their work (take notes)
  5. Research editing prior to the actors blinking and take notes
  6. Create a timeline for the project
  7. Collaborate with the team, discuss film ideas
  8. Write log-line
  9. Create a storyboard
  10. Present storyboard to class
  11. Create Trello board with scrum
  12. Start Production
  13. Gather equipment and props
  14. Help and support team members with their roles for production of the film
  15. Obtain/download media
  16. Label clips and audio for organization
  17. Edit to a rhythm
  18. Incorporate j or l-cut into editing
  19. Edit prior to the actors blinking
  20. Start Post-Production
  21. Work on presentation
  22. Work on blog post
  23. Finish presentation and blog post
  24. Present to class
  25. Finish post-production

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

Skills Commentary

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

During the production of our film, I focused on problem-solving because our team had multiple trials filming and getting our film ready for the project due date. An example, would be our main actor for our film ( Mr. Mcnabb)was out for covid for about a week and a few days this set back our team because we needed him to finish the clips and get the film into one collective piece. Instead, we work on other parts of the film that we could do without Mr. McNabb one of these would be the production of our music and how the music added to the overall production of our film. The whole team worked on the music together adding various music types to our film along with making sure lily ( our editor) had enough music to edit to the beat. We didn’t necessarily problem solved the issue at hand because there wasn’t a solution However, we worked on other aspects of the film to

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

Throughout the film our team communicated with the music portion because we had complications with the overall production of the film so we focused mainly on the music and how it added depth to the film. We collaborated by being the sound room for a good portion of our time during the week sat around a table and started using multiple sources on garage-band to figure out what fits and what sounds off. This overall helped the team talked more during the production on how we want the final product of the film to be. The communication was key to our film because of the amount of issues that occur during the week. Everyone had to be on board with what needed to be done.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

The tools for working during the production of our film was the videos I watched on how to produced music that correlated with the emotion of the characterized and the overall genre of the film. An example was the beginning music was supposed to be similar to what clique High school music would sound like making sure it made sense with the characters in the film. I also utilized multiple Youtube sources on how to make music on garage-band one of them being how to use samplers to enhance your music. An example, would be the ending rave music with samplers of the a good beat and some sound effects to add to the elusion of Mr.Mcnabb being a DJ.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

During the production of our film, some examples of me personally developing were enhancing my ability to understand garage-band better because I was using multiple outlets to produce the music. One being my mobile device and also the computers gave. This allowed me to look through the garage band more frequently because I had it on hand and I also could figure out how to use the garage band correctly with the help of my other team members. Due to using garage band so often we figured out more hacks and tricks to enhance our music ( looping, reverb, pitch, sound effects various music samples) to make our music sound more realistic to a film. I also developed in problem-solving because our team had so many boundaries during this project that we had to figure out a solution quickly or else we wouldn’t have had a film to present. ( Of this was before we knew Mr. Mcnabb had covid)

Reactions to the Final Version

Overall, I thought that our film turned out well regardless of the other issues we had. I think overall the camera movements by Sophie ( our cinematographer) were well done and made our overall film look like more of a tv show which hopefully made the audience more intrigued. I also thought our music develops nicely with the plot of the story, of course, I does sound a little biased when I say it is the sound singer. However, I did have help from the majority of my team so, it was collective. Lastly, the overall storyline could of been extended to have more anticipation on where Mr. Mcnabb could of possible went and maybe more subtle hints of what other profession Mr.Mcnabb was.

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Simple: Choosing the songs we wanted for our film and adapting each song for a specific part in the film

Unexpected: The extensive trials we had to take while acting due to messing up on saying our dialogue correctly or forgetting the timing

Concrete: Sophies filming throughout the production of our film was the concrete to enhancing our film.

Emotional: Our team had to delay our filming time in order to compensate with Mr. McNabb having Covid for our last production Week.

Grammar and Spelling

Grammarly

Editor

Lily