“OH”- Session 6

Evil is back

Get this image

Role

Sound Designer

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Intention (SMART Goal)

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn

Aadahl and Van der Ryn utilize the usage of a quiet atmosphere to emphasize the emotional buildup in their movie ” The Quite Place” Throughout the movie sounds isn’t entirely present because the actors are mute and the plot of the movie revolves around being quite. This allows the sound designer to utilizes the atmospheric sounds for advantage to increase the tension in the film. For example,

Training Source(s)

Project Timeline

• Start Pre-ProductionChoose RoleCreate a SMART goalResearch a leader in the field and their work (take notes)Research editing prior to the actors blinking and take notesCreate a timeline for the projectCollaborate with the team, discuss film ideasWrite log-lineCreate a storyboardPresent storyboard to classCreate Trello board with scrumStart ProductionGather equipment and propsHelp and support team members with their roles for production of the filmObtain/download mediaLabel clips and audio for organizationEdit to a rhythmIncorporate j or l-cut into editingEdit prior to the actors blinkingStart Post-ProductionWork on presentationWork on blog postFinish presentation and blog postPresent to classFinish post-production
  • Proposed Budget

PRODUCTION – ACTION

The (FILM, SOUND, or GAME Creation)

Skills Commentary

POST-PRODUCTION – REFLECTION

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

During pre- production I strived the most to be a critical thinker specifically when creating music that matched the overall theme and content of the film. Our film did not take long to produce and go over so this allowed the team ( Lily and Merja) to research and create a good song that fit with the movements and plot of the film. I utilize critical thinking skills when researching specifically on the quiet place, I used this film because one the directors focused on atmospheric sounds to enhance the overall placement of the film. The quiet place also matched the tension level I was looking for in natural and displaced sound. The quiet also focuses deeply on basic on natural sounds from the crunch of a leaf to more boisterous sounds like a water fall in quiet day. These types of sounds lead me to focus on natural and basic sounds to take up the sound of not talking. This came slightly in handy when our screen writer ( all of us) didn’t really need to make a script for a film.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

During pre-production, I utilized communication and collaboration, throughout basically all roles since our team only had three people. We helped each other with every asset of the film production, one example would be the production of the music. Our team spend basically everyday in the sound room on gargae band figuring out different sounds and piano chords fit with the theme of our overall film. Merja played the piano while I changed the pitch, level and instument on garage band. Lily worked on editing the film and and aslo provided feedback on the pace and overall sound of the film when fitting the cuts into the final film. Basically, I don’t think I would be able to create a good song without the help of my other teammates.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

The tool that used the most during the pre-production was watching and researching the Quiet place. I focused on one film because like mentioned before,

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

Reactions to the Final Version

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Grammar and Spelling

Editor